Submission period for the issue 8 (Fall 2021) is CLOSED.
We welcome nonfiction, poetry and visual art from (or about) Central and Eastern Europe with no specifications in theme. Fiction submissions are currently CLOSED.
Nonfiction pieces are of special interest to us this issue. We believe that in these times, when people are struggling to connect with each other and the world is not as open as it was, writers have been presented with a special opportunity to reflect on this shared historical moment with honesty.
We welcome nonfiction pieces that are provocative, experimental and sincere.
Likewise, submissions to the 2021 Ruritania Prize for fiction are now open. Submissions should be between 1000 and 4500 words and written in English, translated or otherwise, so long as they are previously unpublished.
The first place winner will receive 350 euros and publication in Panel’s issue #8. Second and third place will receive 50 and 20 euros respectively, and will be closely considered for publication.
Deadline for the Ruritania prize -- August 31, 2021.
Before submitting to us, we strongly recommend that you check out previous issues of Panel, in order to get a feeling for what we publish.
In the subject line put "SUBMISSIONS: Ruritania Prize" for Ruritania prize or
"SUBMISSIONS: issue 8" for general submissions.
Estimated deadline for general submissions -- September 15, 2021.
We look forward to hearing from you.
- Writers and artists may be of any origin but should live and work in Central and Eastern Europe, including the Baltic States, Germany/Austria/Switzerland, and the South Caucasus. We prefer submissions that reflect the environment in which they are written.
- If you don't live in the region, but have written a piece related to Central and Eastern Europe, feel free to submit it.
- Panel does not accept simultaneous submissions.
- From May 2020 we pay 20 euro for the accepted submission.
- If we want to publish your piece, we will get back to you within 30-60 days. Art submissions may take up to 3 months as the shortlist is formed not earlier than 1 month before the release. If you don’t hear from us within this period of time, you're welcome to query us for the status of your piece. We'll get back to you as soon as we are able.
- Panel is published twice a year.
- We don't charge for reading.
- Txt, doc, docx (no pdf, please) files up to 10MB - for prose, poetry and nonfiction submissions. For visual art submissions - jpg files up to 10MB.
- You can read all about author rights under our Terms and Conditions.